Focus - Constellation Brands Half-Year Results
Constellation Brands released its H1 results earlier today
Earlier today (3 October), Constellation Brands released its half-year and Q2 results. With the company completing the full takeover of its Crown Imports beer JV in June, the figures were skewed heavily versus the corresponding period a year earlier. Here, we look a little closer at Constellation's performance.
Net sales from the beer division in the second quarter rose by 3% year-on-year to US$814.6m. Half-year sales were up by 4% to $1.58bn. Depletion volumes - meaning shipments from distributors to retailers in the US - rose by 7.1% in Q2 and by 5.2% in the half-year.
Constellation included the full results from Crown for the first time in its Q2 figures.
Net sales from Constellation's wine operations inched up by 2% in Q2 to $629.1m, with half-year sales increasing by 4% to $1.23bn.
Spirits struggled throughout the six month period: In the three months to the end of August, spirits sales plunged by 18% to $67.9m, and by 8% to $144m.
Operating profits from Constellation's wine and spirits operations were hit by higher promotional expense and grape costs, and the timing of shipments for the year. The company said that it expects most of the growth from wine and spirits to come in the second half of its fiscal year, "resulting from the timing of product shipments".
To read the company's official statement, click here.
The world’s second largest wine producer, Constellation Brands transformed its alcoholic drinks operations with the acquisition of Modelo’s US beer business in 2013. This profile considers strategies ...
Alcoholic Drinks in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). Th...
Wine in Hong Kong industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future