Focus - Campari's H1 Performance by Region, Brand
Gruppo Campari released its half-year results today
With 40.1% of total group sales in the half-year, the Americas posted an 11.5% drop in sales, thanks mainly to a -11.5% exchange rate impact across the region. Sales in the US were down in organic terms by 3.6%, but Brazil jumped in the six-month period by14.8%. Argentina leapt by 39.1% with volumes growth and positive sales mix both playing major roles. Despite the double-digit sales rises in the latter two countries, both were hampered by exchange rate effects.
Campari's home market, which accounts for 28.3% of group sales, posted an 8.2% sales lift in H1, driven predominantly by aperitifs. Still wines and Campari's soft drinks operations "showed positive organic growth", the company said.
- Rest of Europe
The region (21.6% of H1 sales) posted a 2.9% lift in sales, with Campari's distribution deal with William Grant & Sons in Germany gaining special mention. However, Campari's own performance in Germany was down by 6%, while Russia leapt in the second quarter by 36.3%. In the six-month period, Russia's total sales inched up by 0.3%. Growth was also recorded in Belgium, Austria, France and Switzerland in the half-year.
- Rest of the World/Travel Retail
The rest of the world and GTR (10.1% of toal H1 sales) delivered a 6.6% rise in sales, despite a near-10% exchange rate effect. Australia grew by 2.4% (up by 9.7% in Q2) with South Africa jumping by 15%. Nigeria, meanwhile, saw sales soar in H1 by 111.5%. Global Travel Retail delivered a "very positive performance", although Japan and New Zealand were singled out as struggling in the period.
Brand Campari posted a sales lift of 12.5%, with Argentina and Brazil performing well. Nigeria reported a 158.4% jump in sales of the brand in the half-year.
The Aperol aperitif brand reported a 14.6% increase in sales, driven by Italy, Central Europe and Global Travel Retail. In the Americas, sales jumped by triple digits.
Skyy vodka sales slipped by 2.6% with shipments to the US being described as "soft" - down by 7.1%. Brazil, China and South Africa all delivered double-digit sales growth, with Argentinean sales jumping by 244.4%.
Wild Turkey was down by 4.9%, while the Lascelles deMercado rum portfolio dipped by 4.4% despite a 5.5% sales lift in Q2. Total Cinzano sales - including the sparking wine and vermouth expressions - decreased by 9%, while Frangelico and Carolans produced a collective 0.2% lift in sales. In Italy, Campari Soda sales rose by 10.5%.
The clamour in recent years to enter the Irish whiskey category suggests that the segment is poised to become the next big thing. But, with one brand dominating the sector massively, are the prospects...
Campari is expected to continue its strategy of brand acquisition, not only to widen its portfolio of brands in order to fill some gaps in terms of product types, but also to improve the distribution ...
Earlier today, brand valuation consultancy Intangible Business released the results of its latest survey of the world's wine and spirits brands. In this excerpt from the full report, which can be down...
Gruppo Campari aims to continue growing its brand presence through marketing and innovation. In addition, the Group would like to further develop its international presence, especially in emerging mar...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research