just-drinks analysis: E-commerce giants merge as category feels the heat of underinvestment
The merger last week of wine.com and wineshopper.com is proof that the e-commerce bubble has burst. A lack of investment and suffocating US legislation has been its undoing. But as Larry Walker reports this might be the best thing to have happened to the companies and their consumers. The merger of wine.com and wineshopper.com is the beginning of the shakeout of B2C e-tailers selling wine directly to consumers, industry observers say. The two companies were faced with two major factors that led to the merger:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Focus - Heineken's H1 Performance by Region
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Bacardi sees North America president step down
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline