GLOBAL: Diageo leads Pernod Ricard in top-end vodka fight - analyst
Pernod and Diageo are the two biggest vodka players
The French company boasts a stronger premium vodka stable, but lacks a contender to its rival's high-value Ketel One and Cîroc brands, Sanford Bernstein said in a note yesterday (15 January). The super-premium segment will benefit most from strong premiumisation trends in vodka that have seen value grow ahead of volume for the past ten years, the note said.
Diageo and Pernod are the world's leading vodka makers by value, with 15% and 8% of the global market respectively.
Bernstein also warned that Diageo's lower-value Smirnoff will face intense competition in the mainstream segment as new products flood the low-barrier market. However, Smirnoff is poised for further growth in Latin America, the analyst added.
“From a category growth standpoint, we believe the outlook for vodka remains positive,” it said. “In particular, we see a mid-long term opportunity in emerging markets as women become more important as purchasers and consumers of alcohol.”
Vodka remains the largest category within spirits, the note said, both in volume and value terms, and accounted for 19% of global spirits volume and 17% of global spirits value in 2011. Central and Eastern Europe accounts for 73% of consumption, and despite relatively flat growth, premium offerings Russian Standard and Brown-Forman's Finlandia should emerge as long-term winners, Bernstein said. Producers of cheaper brands in C&E Europe will continue to lose out as the vodka market moves forward, it said.
Over the last 10 years of rapid acquisitions, Pernod Ricard has built a strong portfolio of premium brands on a global scale. Most of its brands enjoy a leading position in international markets. The ...
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research