US: Cola innovation no elixir for PepsiCo - analyst
PepsiCo released its full-year results yesterday
PepsiCo's North American beverage operations are “still a work in progress” despite the company's bullish stance on cola innovation, an analyst has warned.
Wells Fargo said today (15 February) that beverage innovation was “a long-term fix” for PepsiCo because of strong competition in the North American market. “We question whether this is truly the turning point for (beverage unit) PepsiCo Americas Beverages,” the analyst said.
After PepsiCo released full-year results yesterday, chairman & CEO Indra Nooyi said the company is developing new sweeteners and flavourings that could “alter the trajectory of the cola business” in North America. Nooyi said PepsiCo intends to lead “disruptive innovation” to shake up a struggling category that has not seen significant innovation since diet colas in the 1960s.
Wells Fargo also said PepsiCo's position in China has been “meaningfully strengthened” since its tie-up with Tingyi, “especially in the CSD and juice businesses”. PepsiCo reported yesterday that it is now 1.5 times bigger than its nearest competitor in China.
PepsiCo's results were a mixed bag, with its food units outperforming beverages.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future