US: Coca-Cola Enterprises faces rocky year ahead - analyst
CCE may struggle to come to a deal over Coca-Cola's Germany bottling assets
Higher costs will hold back CCE's margins while weak trading in France and the UK will keep volumes flat this year, analyst Nomura said today (8 February). The comments contradict CCE head John Brock, who said yesterday he expects volumes to return to growth in 2013.
Nomura also said a difference in valuation of Coca-Cola's German bottling assets means the two companies will struggle to come to a deal before May, when CCE's option runs out.
Nomura added: “The company has not ruled out getting involved in other M&A, including the possible refranchising of the US, but none of this appears imminent.”
CCE may see opportunity in buying GlaxoSmithKline's Ribena and Lucozade, the analyst said. GSK yesterday said it is launching a “strategic review” of the brands, with “every option”, including a sale, on the table.
CCE posted its full-year results yesterday, logging a decline in profits and sales.
Coca-Cola Co's chief executive Muhtar Kent has argued that the group's second quarter performance is an "anomaly" caused by a combination of uncontrollable factors and not a "systemic" issue. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research