US: Coca-Cola Co European travails cast doubt on Coca-Cola Enterprises bottling buy - analyst
Will Coca-Cola Enterprises steer clear of Coca-Cola Co's German bottling operations?
Earlier today (12 February), Coca-Cola posted a healthy set of Q4 and FY results, although volumes in Europe slipped by 1% in 2012. In Germany, volumes were up by 1% for the year, but down by 5% in the final quarter.
After Coca-Cola bought Coca-Cola Enterprises' North America operations in 2010, CCE was given the option to buy Coca-Cola's operations in Germany. That option is set to expire in May.
In a note released shortly after Coca-Cola's results announcement today, US-based Stifel said it does not now expect CCE to take up the German option.
"We take this as a strong indication CCE is unlikely to buy Coke bottling in the (German) region," the analyst said. "We ... believe CCE is unlikely to make the purchase, because management does not seem predisposed to taking on a turnaround facing new challenges."
Stifel also said it expects the "Europe weakness" to moderate in the coming years. "We... take the results as further evidence that the company is struggling to produce operating leverage and is unlikely to see volumes accelerate past 4% (for full year)," the analysts said.
Coca-Cola's shares opened down this morning and stood at US$37.82 at 1000 EST, a fall of 2%.
Coca-Cola Enterprises Ltd is focused on strengthening consumer awareness of its sustainable recycling efforts, as well as its product choice, in the forecast period. The company has invested heavily i...
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
With increasing pressures on personal finances, UK consumers continued to look for new ways in which to save money. One aspect of this is the increased trend of cooking and socialising at home. Produc...
In 2012, a key shift in consumer interest was towards chilled products. Consumers increasingly looked to the fridge areas in supermarkets/hypermarkets for fruit/vegetable juice. As a result categories...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer