US: Coca-Cola Co European travails cast doubt on Coca-Cola Enterprises bottling buy - analyst
Will Coca-Cola Enterprises steer clear of Coca-Cola Co's German bottling operations?
Earlier today (12 February), Coca-Cola posted a healthy set of Q4 and FY results, although volumes in Europe slipped by 1% in 2012. In Germany, volumes were up by 1% for the year, but down by 5% in the final quarter.
After Coca-Cola bought Coca-Cola Enterprises' North America operations in 2010, CCE was given the option to buy Coca-Cola's operations in Germany. That option is set to expire in May.
In a note released shortly after Coca-Cola's results announcement today, US-based Stifel said it does not now expect CCE to take up the German option.
"We take this as a strong indication CCE is unlikely to buy Coke bottling in the (German) region," the analyst said. "We ... believe CCE is unlikely to make the purchase, because management does not seem predisposed to taking on a turnaround facing new challenges."
Stifel also said it expects the "Europe weakness" to moderate in the coming years. "We... take the results as further evidence that the company is struggling to produce operating leverage and is unlikely to see volumes accelerate past 4% (for full year)," the analysts said.
Coca-Cola's shares opened down this morning and stood at US$37.82 at 1000 EST, a fall of 2%.
Coca-Cola Co's chief executive Muhtar Kent has argued that the group's second quarter performance is an "anomaly" caused by a combination of uncontrollable factors and not a "systemic" issue. ...
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research