AFRICA: Chibuku Super can be SABMiller's "game-changer" - analyst
SABMiller's Africa prospects are looking healthy
SABMiller's extension of its Chibuku beer brand, 'Super', is a likely "game-changer" for the brewer in Africa, according to an analyst.
In a note late yesterday (11 February), UBS said that SABMiller has the broadest footprint in Africa and is boosting that through "a modular approach into untapped areas, while introducing innovative and more affordable products," UBS said.
It added: "Chibuku Super is a possible future game-changer in this regard."
The UK-headquartered company launched Chibuku Super, a variant on the opaque beer that has a fixed abv of 3.5% and comes in PET packaging, in Zambia last September. The variant has a longer shelf-life than the core Chibuku brand, which ferments in the packaging and expires after five days.
Overall, the company has invested US$16m in the Chibuku brand over the past two years.
SABMiller is the "best placed" brewer to benefit from Africa's burgeoning beer market, UBS noted. Along with Castel, it has brewing operations in 37 of the 50 countries in Africa.
But, UBS predicted that SABMiller will focus more on volumes than price. "Due to the fact that most of these countries are still trading well below their theoretical capacity levels and, given SABMiller's stated strategy of improving affordability within the beverage category, we expect SABMiller to focus its future attention more on volume growth than on achieving real price increases," the note said.
Clear and sorghum beer makes up around 20% of alcohol volumes sold in Africa, whereas the continent's "informal alcohol market" accounts for around 74% of all alcohol drunk.
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report