The Jefford Column: Bordeaux Vintage 1999 - The Farmer's Year
On the eve of the London International Wine Trade Fair, Andrew Jefford, winner last week of the Glenfiddich Drinks Writer of the Year Award, offers an overview of the Bordeaux 1999 vintage, which was windswept and wet, and difficult for the smaller, unprepared grower. Between 1982 and 1990, the sun shone on Bordeaux. Vintage after vintage proved good or great; only 1984 and 1987 offered a dip in sustained vintage excellence. Since 1990, by contrast, heavy Atlantic clouds have repeatedly raced in over the Gironde in August and September, and done what such clouds usually do: dump, wetly. No great vintages (with the possible exception of 1998 in Pomerol and St. Emilion), and only two consistently good ones, 1995 and 1996. Everyone wanted the century to end with a flourish, for two thousand years of European viticulture to achieve millennial apotheosis, for bottles of Bordeaux with three nines on the label to score 10 out of 10. And?
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018