US/INDIA: Beam Inc misconduct allegations stifling growth - analyst
Beam Inc says it is "making progress" with its review
Beam Inc's misconduct review in India has damaged sales more than expected and looks set to hamper growth for most of the year, an analyst has claimed.
The US spirits maker has been forced to "ramp down" sales to India in the wake of allegations of financial impropriety, analyst CLSA said today (4 February). The ongoing investigation will be a “headwind” at least until the third quarter of the calendar year, CLSA said.
In October, The Times of India reported allegations of possible violations of the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act involving Beam's operations in the country.
Beam executives on Friday deflected questions over the review, saying that the investigation is “making progress” but that it is still too early to speculate on how much it will cost the company.
Beam brand Teacher's is the top-selling Scotch in India, according to CLSA.
Meanwhile, the analyst said that Diageo's acquisition of Beam remains a “reasonable possibility” despite the UK company claiming it intends to focus on high-end tequila in the wake of a breakdown in talks with Jose Cuervo. Some commentators viewed Beam's Sauza tequila brand as a possible replacement for Cuervo and predicted a Diageo swoop for its owner.
CLSA said Suntory is another potential buyer after it announced an IPO to raise M&A capital this year.
In full-year results announced last week, Beam posted a healthy rise in Bourbon sales, with last year's Pinnacle vodka acquisition also performing strongly.
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages