FRANCE: Asia, Americas to counterbalance Euro travails for Pernod Ricard - analyst
While Pernod Ricard may be struggling at home, its Asian and American markets offer healthy bounty
The France-based wine and spirits group posted single-digit rises in half-year sales and profits yesterday (14 February), but flagged up difficulties in its domestic market as it cycled tough comparatives. The previous year's H1 numbers included high pre-buying in France ahead of a 14% hike in excise tax on spirits, introduced in January 2012.
In a note released earlier today, however, Nomura has suggested that both Asia and the Americas will provide ongoing growth in the future.
"Asia momentum remains strong with H1 organic revenue up 11% and EBIT up 19%," Nomura said. "In China, H1 revenue growth was in line with Q1 (up 18%) despite some delayed shipments due to Chinese New Year."
With sales in the US up by 9% in the half-year, Nomura said that "underlying momentum is robust".
"The company is still trialling price increases on the Absolut vodka brand in six states, which could be rolled out nationally," it added.
Analysts at Investec echoed the sentiment. "Growth in Asia was ahead of our expectations with China ahead 18%," it said. "Europe, excluding France, at negative 1%, was behind."
Pernod will announce its third-quarter results on 25 April.
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer