US: Anheuser-Busch InBev Modelo delay to hit FY estimates - analyst
It now appears unlikely that Anheuser-Busch InBev will close its purchase of Grupo Modelo by the end of March
With Constellation Brands applying late last week to be included in the US Department of Justice's legal case against A-B InBev's proposal, the row is now expected to run beyond A-B InBev's intended completion date. In announcing its intention to buy the other 50% of Modelo, in June, the brewer said it hoped to complete the deal in the first quarter of this year.
In a note to clients today (11 February), however, Ian Shackleton at Nomura flagged the unlikelihood of that deadline being hit.
“There is significant risk of slippage on the deal over several quarters, which is set to lead to lower FY13 consensus estimates,” said Shackleton.
A-B InBev would appear to have “misread the regulatory climate for US beer”, Shackleton added, as he drew comparisons to the brewer's attempts to consolidate two of the major UK brewers, Bass and Whitbread, in 2000.
“The Office of Fair Trading (in the UK) ruled that it was not able to keep both businesses and (A-B InBev) ended up selling most of the Bass business (Carling) to Molson Coors,” Shackleton noted. “It was clear that the company had misread the regulatory position in the UK.”
A-B InBev followed Constellation's announcement on Friday with a statement backing its application.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Brewers v Distillers in Nutrition Control Battle
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly