US: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Modelo deal under threat - analyst
The merger is facing scrutiny from US regulators
In a note late yesterday (16 January), Ian Shackleton of Nomura said: “We now believe that the deal will not happen or will be subject to significant remedies that will substantially reduce the potential upside for A-B InBev shareholders.” According to the New York Post earlier this week, the US Department of Justice (DoJ) could ask the brewer to sell some of its “non-core” US brands to satisfy anti-trust fears.
Shackleton added: “We believe that this could require a full disposal of the assets and brands for the US to a third party, which in turn would create dis-synergies and likely further loss of value.”
However, an A-B InBev spokeperson told just-drinks today that the company still expects the transaction to close in the first quarter of this year. The company declined to comment on the DoJ review.
The company previouly said it was working proactively with regulators on the US$20.1bn deal, first announced last June.
Shackleton said if the deal does not complete, A-B InBev could consider other M&A options. This might include buying out the 40% of AmBev it does not already own. But, he noted the Brazilian company's share price is at “an all-time high”.
The analyst also suggested that a move for SABMiller by the Belgium-headquartered brewer remains some way off. “We remain sceptical about a bid for SABMiller, given its high exposure to markets outside A-B InBev’s comfort zone and minimal upside potential from running the assets better," Shackleton said.
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research