US: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Modelo deal to get DoJ go-ahead - analyst
A-B InBev has made a bid to appease anti-trust concerns over its move for Modelo
In a note yesterday (14 February), Stifel analyst Mark Swartzberg said: "We expect the Department of Justice (DoJ) to approve the transaction as it is aggressive, was motivated by the DoJ's objections, and, in our opinion, satisfies them by making Crown a truly independent competitor of A-B InBev in the US." It came after A-B InBev announced this week that it will sell the perpetual rights to Modelo's products in the US and the Mexican group's Piedras Negras brewery to Constellation Brands for US$2.9bn.
The concessions came after the DoJ filed an anti-trust lawsuit over the $20.1bn deal.
However, Swartzberg noted that brewing is a "new line of business" for Constellation and Crown Imports management and carries "execution risk". But he added: "Nine times EBITDA is the low end of brewer multiples, suggesting this business still has a positive present value, or is potentially additive to $45 per share, all else being equal."
For just-drinks' take on the latest developments, click here.
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends