US: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Modelo deal to get DoJ go-ahead - analyst
A-B InBev has made a bid to appease anti-trust concerns over its move for Modelo
In a note yesterday (14 February), Stifel analyst Mark Swartzberg said: "We expect the Department of Justice (DoJ) to approve the transaction as it is aggressive, was motivated by the DoJ's objections, and, in our opinion, satisfies them by making Crown a truly independent competitor of A-B InBev in the US." It came after A-B InBev announced this week that it will sell the perpetual rights to Modelo's products in the US and the Mexican group's Piedras Negras brewery to Constellation Brands for US$2.9bn.
The concessions came after the DoJ filed an anti-trust lawsuit over the $20.1bn deal.
However, Swartzberg noted that brewing is a "new line of business" for Constellation and Crown Imports management and carries "execution risk". But he added: "Nine times EBITDA is the low end of brewer multiples, suggesting this business still has a positive present value, or is potentially additive to $45 per share, all else being equal."
For just-drinks' take on the latest developments, click here.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly