US: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Modelo deal to get DoJ go-ahead - analyst
A-B InBev has made a bid to appease anti-trust concerns over its move for Modelo
In a note yesterday (14 February), Stifel analyst Mark Swartzberg said: "We expect the Department of Justice (DoJ) to approve the transaction as it is aggressive, was motivated by the DoJ's objections, and, in our opinion, satisfies them by making Crown a truly independent competitor of A-B InBev in the US." It came after A-B InBev announced this week that it will sell the perpetual rights to Modelo's products in the US and the Mexican group's Piedras Negras brewery to Constellation Brands for US$2.9bn.
The concessions came after the DoJ filed an anti-trust lawsuit over the $20.1bn deal.
However, Swartzberg noted that brewing is a "new line of business" for Constellation and Crown Imports management and carries "execution risk". But he added: "Nine times EBITDA is the low end of brewer multiples, suggesting this business still has a positive present value, or is potentially additive to $45 per share, all else being equal."
For just-drinks' take on the latest developments, click here.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review