US: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Modelo deal to get DoJ go-ahead - analyst
A-B InBev has made a bid to appease anti-trust concerns over its move for Modelo
In a note yesterday (14 February), Stifel analyst Mark Swartzberg said: "We expect the Department of Justice (DoJ) to approve the transaction as it is aggressive, was motivated by the DoJ's objections, and, in our opinion, satisfies them by making Crown a truly independent competitor of A-B InBev in the US." It came after A-B InBev announced this week that it will sell the perpetual rights to Modelo's products in the US and the Mexican group's Piedras Negras brewery to Constellation Brands for US$2.9bn.
The concessions came after the DoJ filed an anti-trust lawsuit over the $20.1bn deal.
However, Swartzberg noted that brewing is a "new line of business" for Constellation and Crown Imports management and carries "execution risk". But he added: "Nine times EBITDA is the low end of brewer multiples, suggesting this business still has a positive present value, or is potentially additive to $45 per share, all else being equal."
For just-drinks' take on the latest developments, click here.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer