Analysis - Woodchuck weakness puts dent in C&C Group's US plans
C&C Group bought Vermont Hard Cider in December
C&C Group's US cider acquisition Vermont Hard Cider has got off to a slow start, an analyst has flagged.
Vermont's cider brand Woodchuck grew Q1 volumes by just 3% despite strong category growth in the US, Nomura's Edward Mundy said today (5 July). However, Mundy added that the fiscal year will be a transitional one for Vermont and “it is too early to conclude on the longer-term prospects.”
C&C completed its purchase of Vermont in December with hopes of tripling its international business within four years.
But while in C&C Q1 results released this week, international sales and volumes both increased by about 77%, Mundy said the growth came mainly from the first-time impact of Vermont.
Woodchuck has suffered market share loss since its acquisition from disruption caused by combining sales forces and delistings in “large on-trade restaurants”, Mundy said.
“We would not view these de-listings as permanent, however, we believe that they could run for as long as six months,” he said.
The analyst agreed with C&C predictions of a tough year ahead for the Irish owner of Magners and Gaymers because of competition in UK cider, but said pressure would ease when the weather in the UK and Ireland improves.
Trends would remain unchanged for the Tennent’s UK division, Mundy said, with soft volumes, good overall price/mix and continued margin momentum.
In Wednesday's Q1 results, C&C's UK cider volumes fell by 22%, while in the Republic of Ireland, total volumes were down 11.5%.
Rémy Cointreau punches above its weight in spirits, having established itself as a major global player in cognac despite its relatively small size compared to Pernod Ricard and LVMH. China has been it...
French wine group Castel Frères has been fined EUR4m (US$5.5m) for deliberately not informing France's competition regulator of its acquisition of six wine brands from Burgundy producer Patriarche Gra...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research