Analysis - Will Suntory Food & Beverage buy AG Barr next?
A Barr merger with Britvic collapsed earlier this year
Suntory Food & Beverage announced today (9 September) it has agreed to pay GBP1.35bn (US$2.11) for the GlaxoSmithKline brands in a move that pre-empted an expected auction later this month. Barr had been named as a potential buyer in the auction, but Canaccord Genuity's Wayne Brown told just-drinks today the GSK deal should not be considered a missed opportunity for the Irn Bru owner.
“Instead of looking at it as a missed opportunity, I think it raises the prospect of further M&A opportunity in the UK soft drinks industry,” Brown said. “And instead of becoming an acquirer, is it possible that Suntory would have a more detailed look at AG Barr?”
Suntory Food & Beverage expanded its acquisition funds last month through an IPO on the Tokyo Stock Exchange that raised US$3.9bn. The company, which is the soft drinks & food unit of Suntory Holdings, has said it will use part of the money to buy overseas targets.
Ribena and Lucozade are Suntory Food & Beverage's first purchases since the IPO.
To read a comment on this story, click here.
Beam Inc is planning to expand its Maker's Mark distillery with a US$67m investment to meet demand for the Bourbon. ...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends