Analysis - Will Suntory Food & Beverage buy AG Barr next?
A Barr merger with Britvic collapsed earlier this year
Suntory Food & Beverage announced today (9 September) it has agreed to pay GBP1.35bn (US$2.11) for the GlaxoSmithKline brands in a move that pre-empted an expected auction later this month. Barr had been named as a potential buyer in the auction, but Canaccord Genuity's Wayne Brown told just-drinks today the GSK deal should not be considered a missed opportunity for the Irn Bru owner.
“Instead of looking at it as a missed opportunity, I think it raises the prospect of further M&A opportunity in the UK soft drinks industry,” Brown said. “And instead of becoming an acquirer, is it possible that Suntory would have a more detailed look at AG Barr?”
Suntory Food & Beverage expanded its acquisition funds last month through an IPO on the Tokyo Stock Exchange that raised US$3.9bn. The company, which is the soft drinks & food unit of Suntory Holdings, has said it will use part of the money to buy overseas targets.
Ribena and Lucozade are Suntory Food & Beverage's first purchases since the IPO.
To read a comment on this story, click here.
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research