Analysis - Will Suntory Food & Beverage buy AG Barr next?
A Barr merger with Britvic collapsed earlier this year
Suntory Food & Beverage announced today (9 September) it has agreed to pay GBP1.35bn (US$2.11) for the GlaxoSmithKline brands in a move that pre-empted an expected auction later this month. Barr had been named as a potential buyer in the auction, but Canaccord Genuity's Wayne Brown told just-drinks today the GSK deal should not be considered a missed opportunity for the Irn Bru owner.
“Instead of looking at it as a missed opportunity, I think it raises the prospect of further M&A opportunity in the UK soft drinks industry,” Brown said. “And instead of becoming an acquirer, is it possible that Suntory would have a more detailed look at AG Barr?”
Suntory Food & Beverage expanded its acquisition funds last month through an IPO on the Tokyo Stock Exchange that raised US$3.9bn. The company, which is the soft drinks & food unit of Suntory Holdings, has said it will use part of the money to buy overseas targets.
Ribena and Lucozade are Suntory Food & Beverage's first purchases since the IPO.
To read a comment on this story, click here.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014