Analysis - Will Suntory Food & Beverage buy AG Barr next?
A Barr merger with Britvic collapsed earlier this year
Suntory Food & Beverage announced today (9 September) it has agreed to pay GBP1.35bn (US$2.11) for the GlaxoSmithKline brands in a move that pre-empted an expected auction later this month. Barr had been named as a potential buyer in the auction, but Canaccord Genuity's Wayne Brown told just-drinks today the GSK deal should not be considered a missed opportunity for the Irn Bru owner.
“Instead of looking at it as a missed opportunity, I think it raises the prospect of further M&A opportunity in the UK soft drinks industry,” Brown said. “And instead of becoming an acquirer, is it possible that Suntory would have a more detailed look at AG Barr?”
Suntory Food & Beverage expanded its acquisition funds last month through an IPO on the Tokyo Stock Exchange that raised US$3.9bn. The company, which is the soft drinks & food unit of Suntory Holdings, has said it will use part of the money to buy overseas targets.
Ribena and Lucozade are Suntory Food & Beverage's first purchases since the IPO.
To read a comment on this story, click here.
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
Beam Inc is planning to expand its Maker's Mark distillery with a US$67m investment to meet demand for the Bourbon. ...
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015