Analysis - US spirits volumes down as Diageo suffers
Nomura said volumes are still "robust" when making adjustments for the prior year
US spirits volumes fell last month with Diageo's brands the worst hit, according to latest industry figures.
National Alcohol Beverage Control Association (NABCA) data published today (23 April) showed that overall industry volumes dropped by 2.7% in March. The figures cover 19 US control states, accounting for around 25% of the US distilled spirits market.
But analysts Nomura, which published the numbers in a note, flagged that Michigan and Utah reported a week less of sales on the prior year. With this adjustment and accounting for an early Easter, volumes were up 2.9%, Nomura said.
"The underlying March volume growth is in line with our FY industry estimate of around +3%," the note said.
Price/mix for March was "robust", up 3.5%, improving on February (+3%) and in line with January’s 3.6% rise, Nomura said.
Diageo fared the worst out of the major producers, with volumes down 8.4% in March, the data showed. Captain Morgan's volumes fell 15.5%.
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages