Analysis - US spirits volumes down as Diageo suffers
Nomura said volumes are still "robust" when making adjustments for the prior year
US spirits volumes fell last month with Diageo's brands the worst hit, according to latest industry figures.
National Alcohol Beverage Control Association (NABCA) data published today (23 April) showed that overall industry volumes dropped by 2.7% in March. The figures cover 19 US control states, accounting for around 25% of the US distilled spirits market.
But analysts Nomura, which published the numbers in a note, flagged that Michigan and Utah reported a week less of sales on the prior year. With this adjustment and accounting for an early Easter, volumes were up 2.9%, Nomura said.
"The underlying March volume growth is in line with our FY industry estimate of around +3%," the note said.
Price/mix for March was "robust", up 3.5%, improving on February (+3%) and in line with January’s 3.6% rise, Nomura said.
Diageo fared the worst out of the major producers, with volumes down 8.4% in March, the data showed. Captain Morgan's volumes fell 15.5%.
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly