Analysis - US spirits to march on as beer volumes drop
US spirits are benefiting from beer's struggles
US spirits are set to steal volumes from a struggling beer category this year, an analyst has predicted.
Spirits can expect volumes to increase by 1.5% over 2013 compared to 3% growth last year, Bernstein's Trevor Stirling said in a note this week. Beer, which last year posted volumes growth in the US for the first time since 2008, will decline again in 2013, this time by 1.7%, Stirling said.
“We expect spirits to continue to benefit from increased share of throat at the expense of beer,” Stirling said.
However, the analyst added that US spirits volumes are weakening, with rolling three-month volumes to July remaining flat. But strong pricing and mix will lead to a 4.5% growth in value at the end of the year.
Beer in the US has been hit by rising unemployment among its core demographic of young males, as well as high fuel prices and weak consumer confidence.
Stirling also said a slowdown in Nigeria's alcohol market appears to be easing. A government cut of oil subsidies had hit spending but the effect “finally appears to be wearing off”, Stirling said.
The Future of the US Alcoholic Drinks Packaging to 2017
The Future of the US Alcoholic Drinks Packaging to 2017 is a data only report providing extensive and highly detailed time series consumption data on primary and outer packaging in the market...read more
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review