Analysis - US job losses hit Europe's brewers
Beer volumes dropped in the US
Europe's big brewers saw their volumes in the US drop back in the first three months of the year as unemployment among young men hurt sales, an analyst has said.
Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling said in a note today (14 May) the US beer market had a “very weak” Q1 after 2012's strong performance. Bad weather was partly to blame for industry volumes falling about 3%, but increasing job losses in beer's key demographic was an underlying cause, Stirling said.
He also said consumer confidence is fragile, damaged by higher payroll taxes.
In Heineken's Q1 results, released last month, group beer volumes in the Americas declined by 2.4% with sales to US retailers declining in the low-single digits. Over the same period, Anheuser-Busch InBev saw US sales-to-wholesalers fall by 5.2%.
The note, part of Bernstein's quarterly sector review of the European alcohol industry, said despite economic problems, margins in the US remained strong because of growth in craft beer and “premium” sales.
Stirling said a “marked slowdown” in Cognac and Scotch sales in China in the first-quarter caused by a crackdown on conspicuous consumption at government events is likely to lessen throughout the year.
In Q1 figures released in April, Rémy Cointreau admitted “more modest” growth for its Cognac labels in China, while in a call with analysts today, Diageo's Asia-Pacific head warned that the country's sales will remain “soft” for the rest of the year.
China's beer volumes, however, rebounded in the first three months of the year, though margins remained small, Stirling said.
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
Heineken do Brasil Comercial’s strategic direction became more aggressive in 2012. The company invested in new product launches and marketing and advertising campaigns to attract the attention of cons...
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles o...
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Comment - What on Earth is a Liqueur?
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Brown-Forman looks to raise US$500m
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future