Analysis - SABMiller outpaces rivals in FY but headwinds persist
SABMiller faces pressure in the US
SABMiller has delivered a strong set of full-year results but problems loom, such as pressure on Miller Lite in the US loom, an analyst has warned.
The UK-based brewer and soft drinks maker “compared very favourably” to rivals in yesterday's FY numbers, Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling said in a note today (24 May). However, a high-single-digit decline for Miller Lite in North America was just one headwind for the year ahead, the analysts added.
Higher innovation costs as SABMiller focusses on price/mix instead of volumes will cut into margins while Latin America is unlikely to rebound to “normal” levels after a slowdown this year, Stirling said.
SABMiller's exposure to high-growth emerging markets will also continue to lessen as its Foster's acquisition beds in, the analyst said.
“The 'growth-gap' compared to its peers has fallen post-Foster's, with now about 35% of underlying EBIT from mature markets and regions (Europe, US and Australia),” it said.
“Fourth-quarter volumes were +3%, with strong progress in rebuilding of customer relationships and relaunching the VB brand,” Nomura said. “The company remains focussed on rebuilding the beer category in Australia to create value.”
In September, SABMiller revamped the formula for its Victoria Bitter brand in Australia, after the beer lost its market leadership status.
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Australia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research