Analysis - Russia's beer rumpus goes on
Carlsberg has most to lose in Russia with its significant market share
Carlsberg is still suffering in one of its core markets - Russia.
Earlier today, the Danish brewer reported that its full-year volumes in the country, through its Baltika Breweries unit, slipped by 7%. Regulatory restrictions introduced last year, including a ban on beer sales from street kiosks, continue to bite, with the Baltika 7 brand faring particularly badly.
But, is Carlsberg’s Russian rumpus about to subside... finally?
Nomura analysts suggest so. “The competitive dynamic looks sensible, and regulatory change looks to be at an end,” Nomura says in a note today (19 February). Pointing to Carlsberg’s own guidance, the analysts flag that 2014 is likely to be the “inflection point for volumes”, as the impact from the regulatory changes have peaked.
The positive soundings echo what SABMiller Europe’s Sue Clark told journalists last week.
However, Anheuser-Busch InBev, which has also suffered in Russia, has been less optimistic about the market, saying it could take years for the country’s beer market to return to pre-2008 growth. Heineken has also been affected.
As Carlsberg has the lion’s share of Russia’s beer market - around a 38% share - which accounts for 40% of its total profits, it will be executives in Copenhagen most keen to seen a bounce back. And quickly.
Beer - BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) Industry Guide
The BRIC Beer industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, retail market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The prof...read more
Synopsis Canadean's "Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
Carlsberg A/S - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by Globa...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets