Analysis - Remy Cointreau turnaround to take longer then expected
Has Remy Cointreau's China crisis got further to run?
Earlier today (18 July), the French company posted a slight fall in first-quarter sales, with "one-off factors in China" being blamed for the slip. Authorities in the country introduced a clampdown on gifting to civil servants and a ban on alcohol at luxury banquets late last year.
Following Remy's results announcement, Melissa Earlham at UBS Investment Research suggested that the company's Chinese malaise ran deeper than she had forecast. "De-stocking in China was more severe than anticipated," said Earlham in a note to clients, "and is expected to continue into Q2FY and be completed by September/October – longer than we had thought."
Meanwhile, Ian Shackleton at Nomura noted that the company is targetting next year for a full turnaround. "The company sees next Chinese New Year as key, but has not put a timetable in place for any recovery in depletions," he said.
Shackleton also suggested that Remy has "material firepower" for further M&A activity, with access to up to EUR1bn. "(Remy) has ruled out a further Scotch deal for now, and has fairly narrow criteria for future acquisitions (must be high value), which may make it difficult to achieve," Shackleton said.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Rémy Cointreau punches above its weight in spirits, having established itself as a major global player in cognac despite its relatively small size compared to Pernod Ricard and LVMH. China has been it...
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
For a category that sells around 146.4m cases annually, it may seem unusual to characterise Rum as a relatively unexploited opportunity. Indeed it is already a diverse and eclectic category with a wid...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Belgium beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and a...
Eyebrows rose earlier this week at the US$16bn that Suntory is set to pay for Beam Inc. At 20 times the company's EBITDA, the transaction is at the more expensive end of the scale. Here, courtesy of a...
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Scotch Whisky Top 20 Export Markets 2014
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly