Analysis - Pernod Ricard "hiatus" not over yet
Pernod Ricard released its full-year results today
Pernod Ricard is in a “hiatus period” that could last beyond next year, an analyst has said.
Scotch whisky declines in China and a dearth of likely acquisitions will hamper profits growth for the French company until full-year 2015, Nomura's Ian Shackleton said today (29 August). “From FY2015 we see a return to more historical growth rates, assuming more normal momentum in Asia,” Shackleton said.
In 2012-13 full-year results, released earlier today, Pernod's net profits increased by 3% compared to a 9% jump the previous year. Growth in China slowed to 9% as anti-gifting measures hurt high-end Scotch whisky sales in the country.
Shackleton said that Pernod's warning that emerging markets will see “sustained growth albeit to a lesser extent” was focussed on China, adding that a double-digit sales decline for Scotch will continue to drag down growth in Cognac.
“At the very best, it appears that China in FY2014 will be the mirror image of FY2013, with a weak H1 followed by a strong H2,” he said.
Shackleton also said Pernod will see no M&A activity until Alexandre Ricard replaces Pierre Pringuet as CEO in 2015.
Ricard was appointed in August last year to take on the dual role of Pernod's CEO and chairman from January 2015.
To read an exclusive interview with Alexandre Ricard, click here.
Antonia McCahon has been Pernod Ricard's head of digital for four-and-a-half months, taking on the newly-created post after working with a range of consumer goods companies. just-drinks caught up with...
Business Monitor International's France Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bo...
Colombia has shown an interesting development in the luxury industry, and the alcoholic drinks category has not been indifferent to the trend. Some examples of new premium lines that appeared in 2012 ...
We all know by now that, if you're working for an international spirits company and the Chinese market is a big deal for you, then you haven't been sleeping too well for the past year or so....
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research