Analysis - PepsiCo off pace as The Coca-Cola Co sparkles
PepsiCo's sparkling category showed smaller growth than Coca-Cola's
In first-quarter results, announced today, the snacks and drinks maker reported a 3% increase in global beverage volumes, or just 1% on an organic basis. Meanwhile. Coca-Cola, which posted its Q1 results on Tuesday, saw beverage volumes increase by 4%.
Wells Fargo analyst Bonnie Herzog said: “PepsiCo delivered decent Q1 results, but we remain concerned about the health of the beverage business.
“A 1% global volume growth in beverages reflects continued underperformance versus Coca-Cola.”
Herzog also highlighted a 3% volumes drop for the PepsiCo Americas Beverages unit, led by “mid-single digit” declines in the CSD category. Coca-Cola reported a 1% drop in its Q1 North America sparkling beverage volumes, while in Latin America sparkling beverage volumes were up by 2% in the quarter.
On Tuesday, Coca-Cola announced planned changes to its US bottler system that are intended to lower expenses and stimulate growth in CSDs.
PepsiCo, meanwhile, is putting faith in new sweetener and flavour innovations to “reinvent” the struggling category. Today company CEO Indra Nooyi said she intends to treat CSDs “very carefully”.
PepsiCo has launched a new television advert for its namesake soft drinks brand featuring footballer Lionel Messi....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research