Analysis - PepsiCo must plug North American volumes leaks
PepsiCo has lost beverage volumes in North America
PepsiCo's North American beverage volumes will have dropped 20% in the four years before 2015 if current rates of decline continue, an analyst has warned.
Wells Fargo's Bonnie Herzog noted today (17 October) that the North American CSD category is “challenged” and that PepsiCo is “competing in a highly competitive marketplace”. However, Herzog added that there is “still meaningful work to be done” by the company to combat falling beverage volumes.
“We therefore anxiously wait to hear from PepsiCo about any structural changes that may be forthcoming and will continue to remain somewhat cautious … until it demonstrates evidence that beverages can return to top-line growth,” Herzog said.
In third-quarter results, released yesterday, PepsiCo's North American CSD volumes fell by mid-single digits. Non-carbonated beverage volumes declined low-single digits. The declines follow falls in previous quarters for PepsiCo, however the Coca-Cola Co, which released its Q3 results on Tuesday, saw CSD volumes in North America stay flat as overall volumes in the region climbed by 2%.
Meanwhile, CLSA analyst Caroline Levy said in a note today that, despite the volume declines, PepsiCo still managed to maintain its North American beverage margins in Q3 by increasing price mix by three percentage points. Coca-Cola's price mix remained flat, Levy added.
“PepsiCo appears to be running CSDs for profitability and looking to non-carbs for beverage growth,” the analyst said.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
We're just over two months away from the start of the biggest sporting event on earth: The FIFA World Cup kicks off on 12 June, when host country Brazil take on Croatia in the first match of the month...
PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalD...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research