Analysis - PepsiCo merger talk suggests potential US$60bn beverage sale
PepsiCo has confirmed talks with Nelson Peltz
Bernstein analyst Steve Powers told just-drinks today (22 April) that, were a merger or takeover to go ahead, PepsiCo's beverage units could become a standalone company or a subsidiary of a different multi-national conglomerate. “The potential buyers are not a very long list, but people who are expected to have a possible interest are ABI, probably as the leading candidate,” Powers said.
Bernstein estimates PepsiCo's beverage business, which includes PepsiCo Americas Beverages and its global bottlers, would be worth up to ten-times the company's EBITDA, or about $60bn.
Rumours surfaced last month that activist investor Nelson Peltz's Trian Fund Management firm is building stakes in PepsiCo and Mondelez with a view to merging them. PepsiCo last week confirmed it has held discussions with Peltz after the businessman disclosed he has a $269m stake in the soft drinks and snacks group.
Powers said that while a standalone PepsiCo beverage business “might be viewed as an easier competitor from the vantage point of Atlanta”, it would allow drinks brands to move out of the shadow of PepsiCo's more successful snack products.
“Snacks is where the majority of PepsiCo's profit and economic value lies so it makes logical sense for PepsiCo to focus more on snacks than drinks,” Powers said. “If (beverages) were standalone (PepsiCo) would be forced to focus and therefore a more formidable operator.”
In a note today, Bernstein said it viewed a PepsiCo/Mondelez combination as strategically and financially viable but warned that it is not known if Trian seeks a merger.
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018