Analysis - PepsiCo merger talk suggests potential US$60bn beverage sale
PepsiCo has confirmed talks with Nelson Peltz
Bernstein analyst Steve Powers told just-drinks today (22 April) that, were a merger or takeover to go ahead, PepsiCo's beverage units could become a standalone company or a subsidiary of a different multi-national conglomerate. “The potential buyers are not a very long list, but people who are expected to have a possible interest are ABI, probably as the leading candidate,” Powers said.
Bernstein estimates PepsiCo's beverage business, which includes PepsiCo Americas Beverages and its global bottlers, would be worth up to ten-times the company's EBITDA, or about $60bn.
Rumours surfaced last month that activist investor Nelson Peltz's Trian Fund Management firm is building stakes in PepsiCo and Mondelez with a view to merging them. PepsiCo last week confirmed it has held discussions with Peltz after the businessman disclosed he has a $269m stake in the soft drinks and snacks group.
Powers said that while a standalone PepsiCo beverage business “might be viewed as an easier competitor from the vantage point of Atlanta”, it would allow drinks brands to move out of the shadow of PepsiCo's more successful snack products.
“Snacks is where the majority of PepsiCo's profit and economic value lies so it makes logical sense for PepsiCo to focus more on snacks than drinks,” Powers said. “If (beverages) were standalone (PepsiCo) would be forced to focus and therefore a more formidable operator.”
In a note today, Bernstein said it viewed a PepsiCo/Mondelez combination as strategically and financially viable but warned that it is not known if Trian seeks a merger.
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review