Analysis - PepsiCo merger talk suggests potential US$60bn beverage sale
PepsiCo has confirmed talks with Nelson Peltz
Bernstein analyst Steve Powers told just-drinks today (22 April) that, were a merger or takeover to go ahead, PepsiCo's beverage units could become a standalone company or a subsidiary of a different multi-national conglomerate. “The potential buyers are not a very long list, but people who are expected to have a possible interest are ABI, probably as the leading candidate,” Powers said.
Bernstein estimates PepsiCo's beverage business, which includes PepsiCo Americas Beverages and its global bottlers, would be worth up to ten-times the company's EBITDA, or about $60bn.
Rumours surfaced last month that activist investor Nelson Peltz's Trian Fund Management firm is building stakes in PepsiCo and Mondelez with a view to merging them. PepsiCo last week confirmed it has held discussions with Peltz after the businessman disclosed he has a $269m stake in the soft drinks and snacks group.
Powers said that while a standalone PepsiCo beverage business “might be viewed as an easier competitor from the vantage point of Atlanta”, it would allow drinks brands to move out of the shadow of PepsiCo's more successful snack products.
“Snacks is where the majority of PepsiCo's profit and economic value lies so it makes logical sense for PepsiCo to focus more on snacks than drinks,” Powers said. “If (beverages) were standalone (PepsiCo) would be forced to focus and therefore a more formidable operator.”
In a note today, Bernstein said it viewed a PepsiCo/Mondelez combination as strategically and financially viable but warned that it is not known if Trian seeks a merger.
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review