Analysis - No end to Bourbon growth yet despite Beam Inc blip
Jim Beam saw sales slow
The global Bourbon boom remains on course despite a slowdown in Beam Inc's flagship brand, analysts have said.
Beam posted a 3% sales increase for its Jim Beam portfolio in year-to-date results, released yesterday, down from a 10% jump in full-year 2012. Beam has previously lauded a surge in global demand for Bourbon, promising new infrastructure to cope with extra capacity.
However, in a note today (1 Nov), CLSA's Caroline Levy said Beam's “core Bourbon franchise remains strong” and that the Jim Beam slowdown was down to distributor inventory reductions in the US and Australia.
She also said Beam's premium Bourbon brands, such as Maker's Mark, which posted a 17% YTD sales increase, continue to outperform.
Stifel analyst Mark Swartzberg also praised Beam's Bourbon portfolio, saying that management's announcement yesterday of Q4 price increases on Jim Beam is “a sign of confidence in the momentum for Beam’s most valuable asset”.
M&A activity across the UK food and beverage (F&B) sector is on the up with deal volumes having increased for two consecutive quarters....
Beam, as the world’s fourth largest international spirits company and seventh largest overall, should be in a strong position. In some ways it is, however, it suffers from a large proportion of its vo...
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review