Analysis - Molson Coors, Carlsberg ready for craft "threat"
Craft beer is an "opportunity" for small brewers
Nomura said in a note today (16 May) that Molson Coors has managed a “small is beautiful” approach better than rivals after years of focusing on scale. Carlsberg, meanwhile, is finding success with a strong focus on local, and some global, brands, the analyst said.
The comments follow Nomura's attendance at the two-day Canadean International Beer Strategy conference in Prague, which ended yesterday.
“The overall theme from the conference is that the growth of craft represents both an opportunity (especially for small brewers) as well as a threat (especially for the larger players), not just in the US, but in most mature markets,” Nomura said.
The analyst also said Diageo remains its “preferred spirits company” because of its low exposure to a slowing China and wide-ranging presence in emerging Africa.
This week, Diageo's Asia-Pacific boss said he expects the spirits market in China to remain "soft" for the rest of the year.
Beer in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). Th...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research