Analysis - Lucozade may plug Gatorade gap for The Coca-Cola Co
Coca-Cola lost out on Gatorade to PepsiCo
Euromonitor beverage analyst Hope Lee said yesterday (18 April) that Coca-Cola has been in PepsiCo's shadow in sports and energy drinks since the Gatorade buy in 2001 and is seeking a strong brand in the category. “Lucozade would lift Coca-Cola’s category share by two percentage points, taking it closer to Red Bull,” Lee said.
The analyst also said Suntory is a contender for the Lucozade brand, which along with Ribena is undergoing a “strategic review”. GSK, which launched the review last month, has said every option, including a sale, is being considered.
Lee said: “Suntory has established a new department specifically for acquisitions, with Lucozade perhaps being its next target.”
According to Sky News this week, the Japanese firm is in talks with banks about tabling a bid for Lucozade and Ribena.
Meanwhile, Euromonitor's Lee added that the brands will have to be grown internationally to make a purchase worthwhile.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report