Analysis - Lucozade may plug Gatorade gap for The Coca-Cola Co
Coca-Cola lost out on Gatorade to PepsiCo
Euromonitor beverage analyst Hope Lee said yesterday (18 April) that Coca-Cola has been in PepsiCo's shadow in sports and energy drinks since the Gatorade buy in 2001 and is seeking a strong brand in the category. “Lucozade would lift Coca-Cola’s category share by two percentage points, taking it closer to Red Bull,” Lee said.
The analyst also said Suntory is a contender for the Lucozade brand, which along with Ribena is undergoing a “strategic review”. GSK, which launched the review last month, has said every option, including a sale, is being considered.
Lee said: “Suntory has established a new department specifically for acquisitions, with Lucozade perhaps being its next target.”
According to Sky News this week, the Japanese firm is in talks with banks about tabling a bid for Lucozade and Ribena.
Meanwhile, Euromonitor's Lee added that the brands will have to be grown internationally to make a purchase worthwhile.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
The Coca-Cola Company slightly underperformed the world’s soft drinks market amid the recession in Western Europe and slow economic recovery in the US. It is actively expanding in low calorie carbonat...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- just Five Years Ago: A-B InBev sells Oriental
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites