Analysis - Lucozade may plug Gatorade gap for The Coca-Cola Co
Coca-Cola lost out on Gatorade to PepsiCo
Euromonitor beverage analyst Hope Lee said yesterday (18 April) that Coca-Cola has been in PepsiCo's shadow in sports and energy drinks since the Gatorade buy in 2001 and is seeking a strong brand in the category. “Lucozade would lift Coca-Cola’s category share by two percentage points, taking it closer to Red Bull,” Lee said.
The analyst also said Suntory is a contender for the Lucozade brand, which along with Ribena is undergoing a “strategic review”. GSK, which launched the review last month, has said every option, including a sale, is being considered.
Lee said: “Suntory has established a new department specifically for acquisitions, with Lucozade perhaps being its next target.”
According to Sky News this week, the Japanese firm is in talks with banks about tabling a bid for Lucozade and Ribena.
Meanwhile, Euromonitor's Lee added that the brands will have to be grown internationally to make a purchase worthwhile.
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research