Analysis - Lucozade may plug Gatorade gap for The Coca-Cola Co
Coca-Cola lost out on Gatorade to PepsiCo
Euromonitor beverage analyst Hope Lee said yesterday (18 April) that Coca-Cola has been in PepsiCo's shadow in sports and energy drinks since the Gatorade buy in 2001 and is seeking a strong brand in the category. “Lucozade would lift Coca-Cola’s category share by two percentage points, taking it closer to Red Bull,” Lee said.
The analyst also said Suntory is a contender for the Lucozade brand, which along with Ribena is undergoing a “strategic review”. GSK, which launched the review last month, has said every option, including a sale, is being considered.
Lee said: “Suntory has established a new department specifically for acquisitions, with Lucozade perhaps being its next target.”
According to Sky News this week, the Japanese firm is in talks with banks about tabling a bid for Lucozade and Ribena.
Meanwhile, Euromonitor's Lee added that the brands will have to be grown internationally to make a purchase worthwhile.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages