Analysis - Light at the end of the tunnel for MillerCoors?
MillerCoors is hoping to reheat its light beers with the packaging roll-out
MillerCoors’ full-year results today (13 February) revealed how the JV is continuing to see a rebalancing of where it generates sales.
The SABMiller and Molson Coors partnership’s light beers - Coors Light and Miller Lite - both saw full-year sales decline, while its “above premium”, craft-like, brands are still posting growth.
But, can the brewer reinvigorate its light brands, despite consumers heading more towards its more flavourful, premium offerings?
Nomura analysts suggest MillerCoors' latest marketing strategy around its light beers may be helping, slightly. Miller Lite saw “some benefit” from the launch of a “retro” can in select US markets in the fourth quarter, Nomura flagged in a note earlier today after the results statement. And, a focus on packaging could provide further benefit this year.
“We see an opportunity for better Miller Lite performance in 2014 as the retro can is rolled out nationally, and the rollout of Miller Lite retro pint bottles from 1 April,” the Nomura note says.
With premium light still accounting for around 55% of MillerCoors' volumes, and the segment representing a third of the overall US beer market, it’s little surprise that the company still cares about this sub-category.
But, will packaging changes be enough to save light beer from longer-term volume decline?
Craft Beer Market in the US 2012-2016
The analysts in this report forecast the Craft Beer market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 17.46 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the chan...read more
Molson Coors Brewing Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and ser...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Molson Coors Brewing Company (TAP) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been comp...
Synopsis Canadean's "SABMiller plc : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report