Analysis - Hine sale to spark "significant interest"
Hine looks like it is in line for new owners
The sale of Cognac house Hine is likely to generate "significant interest" in the industry, according to an analyst.
A UK spokesperson for Hine confirmed to just-drinks today (19 April) that a buyer is being sought for the company by its owner CL World Brands. "It (Hine) is up sale, but I don't have any more detail beyond that," the spokesperson said.
Off the back of the news, analyst Kepler said in a note today: "We expect the sale of Hine to arouse significant interest in the industry, as Cognac houses are currently looking to increase their inventories of eaux-de-vie to meet future demand."
Hine, which is celebrating its 250th anniversary this year, has around 173 acres of vineyards in Grande Champagne. Its UK sales are "very good", according to the spokesperson, and it is also performing strongly in China and Russia.
Earlier this week, CL World Brands announced it had also offloaded Scotch whisky producer Burn Stewart Distillers to the South African group Distell for ZAR2.2bn (US$244m).
CL World Brands is part of CL Financial, the largest privately-held conglomerate in Trinidad & Tobago. The company was bailed out of a liquidity crisis in 2009 and is currently under the control of Trinidad & Tobago's government. Last year, CL Financial sold its majority stake in Lascelles deMercado to Campari.
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles o...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly