Analysis - Heineken's emerging markets exposure boosts prospects
Heineken prospects remain solid despite short-term troubles, according to Bernstein
Heineken’s exposure in Africa, South-East Asia and Mexico means the group’s medium- to long-term prospects are still strong despite a tough start to 2013, according to an analyst.
In a note to clients earlier today (9 July) Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling said he expects the Dutch group’s H1 numbers to be weak. It follows a drop in group volumes in first-quarter results.
But Stirling said Heineken’s Q1 performance is likely to be the “nadir” of its near-term fortunes.
“We remain positive about Heineken's medium-/ long-term prospects ... with more exposure to Africa, excluding South Africa, than SABMiller, high exposure to emerging South-East Asia, and a good growth platform in Latin America, notably in Mexico,” the analyst said.
He also flagged that Heineken is set to benefit from lower input costs this year. This is due to “an expected very strong harvest in West Europe and Russia, low global wheat prices and aluminium prices that are well down on this time last year,” Stirling said.
“So long as Heineken and the other brewers do not re-invest this potential margin upside in price promotion, there could be further upside,” he added.
The brewer last year completed a SGD5.4bn (US$4.3bn) deal to take full control of Tiger brewer Asia Pacific Breweries.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2013....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research