Analysis - Gruppo Campari still an "active consolidator"
Campari released its first-quarter results yesterday
Gruppo Campari might be on the look out for more acquisitions once it beds in latest buy Lascelles deMercado & Co, an analyst has said.
Campari closed the deal on the owner of the Appleton rum brand at the end of last year, spending US$409m on a tender offer. However, Nomura's Edward Mundy said in a note today (14 May) that the Italian company could buy another company “in the medium-term”.
“We still see Campari as an active consolidator in the sector,” Mundy said. “Although, in the short term, we think the company will focus on integrating the Appleton rum business.”
Mundy is confident of Campari's outlook, despite its “soft start to the year”. In first-quarter results, released yesterday, the group saw pre-tax profits slump by 25% as its performance in Italy suffered.
But, Mundy said he expects Campari to rally in the second half of the year as tough conditions in Germany and Australia recover. Italy will remain difficult for the full year, Mundy added.
For a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of Campari's Q1 performance, click here.
Diageo's Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky brand strengthened its hold on the global Travel Retail market last year, increasing volumes by 15%, new figures have shown....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts