Analysis - Gruppo Campari set to struggle in Q1
Campari will see its home market drag on Q1 performance
Troublesome trading conditions in Italy and Germany will give Campari a tough start to 2013, an analyst has warned.
Earlier this month, Milan-based Campari posted a slight dip in full-year profits for 2012, with both its home market and nearby Germany dragging on performance. While a “worse-than-expected market environment” in Italy in the final quarter hindered sales, Germany was hit by a “commercial dispute with a key client” over Campari's Aperol brand.
In a note to clients today (26 March), Kepler Capital Markets said that the two markets will continue to prove difficult this year.
“In Italy,” Kepler said, “we expect that -8% underlying trend to continue/deteriorate further in H1, as austerity measures and the political conundrum continue to weigh on consumer confidence.
“In Germany, we fear the ‘me-too’ products - priced at a 50% discount to Apérol price - that popped up during Apérol’s delisting in 2012 might force Campari to step up marketing spend.”
Kepler forecast that full-year net profits for Campari in 2013 will come in at around EUR179m (US$232.1m), a year-on-year increase of 6.7%. This contrasts, however, with the firm's sector peers, who are expected to deliver a 14% lift in net profits on average this year.
“When reporting 2012 earnings,” Kepler continued, “Campari flagged that, in Q1, Italy would be hit by a EUR20m to EUR25m shift in revenues from Q1 into Q2-Q3 (delayed pre-load for the summer). This means sales in Italy could drop by 25% year-on-year in Q1, translating into a 3% like-for-like sales decline at group level."
Campari is set to release its Q1 results on 13 May.
Earlier today (6 August), Campari released its half-year results. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance in the period by region and by brand....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends