Analysis - Group Modelo to fare worse than Heineken after Mexico probe
Modelo could be more affected than its rival Heineken, according to one analyst
In a note today (12 July), Nomura's Ian Shackleton said the Anheuser-Busch InBev-owned group has greater exposure to “mom-and-pop stores” in Mexico than Heineken's Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma. The Dutch brewer's subsidiary meanwhile has “greater exposure to convenience stores, mainly owing to its supply agreement to the Oxxo stores,” the analyst said.
Shackleton added: “We believe that for both Modelo and Femsa (Heineken) the proportion of points of sale with written exclusivities is not dissimilar at just over 25%; however, Modelo has more non-written supply agreements.”
However, Grupo Santander analyst Anthony Bucalo said the agreements were a “long-term positive” for Modelo as it also opens up Northern Mexico where the group has a 30-40% share of the market and consumption is higher.
For SABMiller, Shackleton said it could make some share gains by importing more beer through its US JV MillerCoors. But he added: “Without access to a distribution system and with no local production, we see the opportunity here as limited.”
To read SABMiller's reaction to the ruling, click here.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of the legal wrangling in Mexico, click here.
Heineken do Brasil Comercial’s strategic direction became more aggressive in 2012. The company invested in new product launches and marketing and advertising campaigns to attract the attention of cons...
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets