Analysis - Europe struggles could hamper Coca-Cola Enterprises long-term prospects
CCE faces an uphill battle in Europe
The on-going challenges from Europe's trading environment mean that Coca-Cola Enterprises may struggle to achieve its long-term growth targets, an analyst has warned.
The group yesterday (25 July) reported a 22.6% drop in first-half net profits, as sales dipped by 1.7%. CCE blamed ongoing macroeconomic weakness, poor weather, the impact of France's tax hike last year, and the UK's “competitive environment”.
In a note today (26 July), Bernstein analyst Steve Powers said that, given the troubles CCE faces, he continues to “harbour concerns about the sustainable achievability of long-term top-line (+4-6%) and operating profit (+6-8%) growth objectives”.
On France's tax increase, introduced in January last year, Powers said: “We wonder the extent of the actions the company is considering to facilitate the improvement. Will improved in-store promotion and displays be enough, or are additional pricing cuts on the table?”
He also suggested that the company's "renewed appetite" for M&A could bring “an additional layer of risk” for investors.
However, Powers did note that recent trends have improved for CCE, due to better weather in its key regions.
Meanwhile, CLSA analyst Caroline Levey said that Europe remains a risk for CCE, as 55% of its earnings and sales are generated in the region. She also suggested that CCE's first right of refusal to buy Coca-Cola Co's German bottling operations remains “an opportunity and a risk, depending on the price they might pay”.
Ahead of the Oscars, due to be handed out in just over a month's time, Richard Corbett has some gongs of his own to hand out. In recognition of the best new soft drinks products in 2013, who will win ...
Coca-Cola Enterprises Ltd is focused on strengthening consumer awareness of its sustainable recycling efforts, as well as its product choice, in the forecast period. The company has invested heavily i...
RTD tea is positioned as a rehydrating, refreshing and healthy drink for consumers of all ages and with main focus on working professionals aged 25-45. during summer. Following very strong growth in 2...
Low-cost alternatives had a significant impact on the category in 2012, prompting a unit price decline for the sports drinks category and thus for the category overall....
With increasing pressures on personal finances, UK consumers continued to look for new ways in which to save money. One aspect of this is the increased trend of cooking and socialising at home. Produc...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018