Analysis - Europe struggles could hamper Coca-Cola Enterprises long-term prospects
CCE faces an uphill battle in Europe
The on-going challenges from Europe's trading environment mean that Coca-Cola Enterprises may struggle to achieve its long-term growth targets, an analyst has warned.
The group yesterday (25 July) reported a 22.6% drop in first-half net profits, as sales dipped by 1.7%. CCE blamed ongoing macroeconomic weakness, poor weather, the impact of France's tax hike last year, and the UK's “competitive environment”.
In a note today (26 July), Bernstein analyst Steve Powers said that, given the troubles CCE faces, he continues to “harbour concerns about the sustainable achievability of long-term top-line (+4-6%) and operating profit (+6-8%) growth objectives”.
On France's tax increase, introduced in January last year, Powers said: “We wonder the extent of the actions the company is considering to facilitate the improvement. Will improved in-store promotion and displays be enough, or are additional pricing cuts on the table?”
He also suggested that the company's "renewed appetite" for M&A could bring “an additional layer of risk” for investors.
However, Powers did note that recent trends have improved for CCE, due to better weather in its key regions.
Meanwhile, CLSA analyst Caroline Levey said that Europe remains a risk for CCE, as 55% of its earnings and sales are generated in the region. She also suggested that CCE's first right of refusal to buy Coca-Cola Co's German bottling operations remains “an opportunity and a risk, depending on the price they might pay”.
Ahead of the Oscars, due to be handed out in just over a month's time, Richard Corbett has some gongs of his own to hand out. In recognition of the best new soft drinks products in 2013, who will win ...
Coca-Cola Enterprises Ltd is focused on strengthening consumer awareness of its sustainable recycling efforts, as well as its product choice, in the forecast period. The company has invested heavily i...
RTD tea is positioned as a rehydrating, refreshing and healthy drink for consumers of all ages and with main focus on working professionals aged 25-45. during summer. Following very strong growth in 2...
Low-cost alternatives had a significant impact on the category in 2012, prompting a unit price decline for the sports drinks category and thus for the category overall....
With increasing pressures on personal finances, UK consumers continued to look for new ways in which to save money. One aspect of this is the increased trend of cooking and socialising at home. Produc...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research