Analysis - Doubts raised over Coca-Cola Co's H2 prospects
Coca-Cola is hoping its first-half was a blip
An analyst has questioned Coca-Cola Co's confidence that its second half will improve, after posting “disappointing” H1 results earlier this week.
The group pointed to poor weather in many of its key regions as the reason for a drop in sales and profits in yesterday's (16 July) half-year numbers. Later in a conference call, CEO Muhtar Kent branded the period an “anomaly”, pointing to a combination of unforseen factors.
But, in a note today, Bernstein analyst Ali Dibadj said he is not clear on “whether and how things will improve” for the group this year. He added: “The company seems optimistic about more favourable results across the board in H2, but what is expected to drive the improvement, especially if macro weaknesses persist and competitive pressure in many markets continue to rise?”
Dibadj also raised concerns about the market for Coca-Cola in China. He questioned how much of the group's deceleration in the country was down to the economy, compared to competition and “evidence of an already-maturing” category.
However, looking further ahead the analyst said: “We see Coca-Cola benefiting from strong momentum and a broadly healthy global system, solid long-term prospects for mid-single digit top-line growth, and significant cost cutting opportunities.”
For a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of Coca-Cola Co's H1 results, click here.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Consumption of fruit/vegetable juice declined in 2012 in both the off-trade and on-trade channels. Off-trade volume sales of fruit/vegetable juice fell by 5% in 2012; a third consecutive year of decli...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages