Analysis - Diageo could make 'quantum leap' for Moet Hennessy
Moet Hennessy is the wine and spirits unit of luxury goods group LVMH
In a note today (21 May), Nomura's Ian Shackleton said that the UK firm's "strong" balance sheet means it "has firepower to do more deals". Talk of Diageo looking to buy Moet Hennessy outright surfaced in 2009, but LVMH ruled out the sale.
However, Shackleton said Diageo, which has a 34% stake in Moet Hennessy, would still be keen to acquire LVMH's 66% stake as the unit's Cognac business would boost its premiumisation "index" and increase its exposure to Asia.
Diageo and Moet Hennessy already have joint distribution arrangements in place in "most" Asian markets and France, Nomura noted.
Based on Moet Hennessy's 2013 full-year EBITDA, Nomura values the overall business at around EUR29bn (GBP24bn). Therefore, Diageo would have to pay around EUR19bn for LVMH's 66% stake.
Meanwhile, the appointment of Menezes, confirmed as Paul Walsh's replacement earlier this month, is likely to be an "evolutionary, rather than revolutionary" process, Shackleton suggested.
The company is also expected to up its focus on emerging markets by acquiring more local spirits brands, he added.
However, Shackleton said Menezes' appointment had come "sooner than expected", with the anticipation previously that Walsh would remain until the company reported its full-year numbers at the end of July.
The final death count of Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines last week, is still a long way from being known. The relief effort is well underway, however, and drinks companies are among those th...
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review