Analysis - Constellation Brands ready for Crown Imports price hike
Constellation took over the Crown portfolio last month
Constellation Brands is poised to accelerate pricing on its Crown Imports labels after first-quarter results showed the recently-acquired beers in rude health, an analyst has said.
The Crown portfolio, which Constellation acquired full-control of from former JV partner Grupo Modelo last month, saw sales increase by 5% in yesterday's Q1 figures. An announcement of a bigger marketing spend for the rest of the year was also “a sign of confidence” in the brands, Stifel's Mark Swartzberg said today (3 July).
Swartzberg added that pricing for Crown Imports beyond the 2% taken last year “may be imminent”.
“We believe pricing in-line with Anheuser-Busch InBev's 3% to 4% rate increases is likely long-term,” Swartzberg said.
Swartzberg also reiterated his view that pressure to promote and innovate in wines and spirits will continue to erode the categories' EBIT margins until at least the end of fiscal-2016.
The Crown Imports deal, which gives Constellation perpetual US rights for the Modelo brands, makes the company the third-biggest brewer and beer seller in the US market. It also gave it ownership of a Modelo brewery on the Mexico-US border.
For a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of Constellation's Q1 results, click here.
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Sustainable packaging gets the just-drinks management briefing treatment in this, the fourth and final part of our look at environmental sustainability in the wine sector....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Remy Cointreau sees H1 sales, profits rise
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts