Analysis - Constellation Brands ready for Crown Imports price hike
Constellation took over the Crown portfolio last month
Constellation Brands is poised to accelerate pricing on its Crown Imports labels after first-quarter results showed the recently-acquired beers in rude health, an analyst has said.
The Crown portfolio, which Constellation acquired full-control of from former JV partner Grupo Modelo last month, saw sales increase by 5% in yesterday's Q1 figures. An announcement of a bigger marketing spend for the rest of the year was also “a sign of confidence” in the brands, Stifel's Mark Swartzberg said today (3 July).
Swartzberg added that pricing for Crown Imports beyond the 2% taken last year “may be imminent”.
“We believe pricing in-line with Anheuser-Busch InBev's 3% to 4% rate increases is likely long-term,” Swartzberg said.
Swartzberg also reiterated his view that pressure to promote and innovate in wines and spirits will continue to erode the categories' EBIT margins until at least the end of fiscal-2016.
The Crown Imports deal, which gives Constellation perpetual US rights for the Modelo brands, makes the company the third-biggest brewer and beer seller in the US market. It also gave it ownership of a Modelo brewery on the Mexico-US border.
For a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of Constellation's Q1 results, click here.
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
Global Wine industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
The company faced a period of uncertainty at the end of 2012 regarding its future in the midst of A-B InBev and Constellation Brands’ merger discussions. Eventually, in February 2013, all parties reac...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Sustainable packaging gets the just-drinks management briefing treatment in this, the fourth and final part of our look at environmental sustainability in the wine sector....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer