Analysis - Coca-Cola Co price cuts turn heat on PepsiCo
PepsiCo has seen volumes pressure in North America
Wells Fargo's Bonnie Herzog said in a note today (25 July) that PepsiCo must prove its integrated snacks and drinks model “does more than simply subsidize ongoing weakness in North American beverages”. The beverage unit also saw negative pricing as PepsiCo followed a promotions strategy that Herzog said has offset volumes declines.
However, she added: “This strategy may fall apart if Coca-Cola maintains its heavy promotions, which we suspect could accelerate PepsiCo volume declines and lead to the acceleration of negative top-line growth.”
In Q3 results released yesterday, PepsiCo posted an increase in profits and sales, however gains mostly came from snacks and international sales, while North American beverages faced “ongoing challenges”, Herzog said.
The warning follows pressure from PepsiCo investor Nelson Peltz for PepsiCo to hive off its beverage unit and operate it as a separate company. Peltz last week said PepsiCo's structure “just doesn't work any more”, while yesterday PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi suggested the company is to announce structural changes early next year.
Stifel analyst Mark Swartzberg said today that the changes are only likely to affect PepsiCo's North Amercian beverage unit and not alter its global structure.
As we welcome in the New Year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2014 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
Ahead of the Oscars, due to be handed out in just over a month's time, Richard Corbett has some gongs of his own to hand out. In recognition of the best new soft drinks products in 2013, who will win ...
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
The G8 Soft Drinks industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The guide al...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research