Analysis - Coca-Cola Co price cuts turn heat on PepsiCo
PepsiCo has seen volumes pressure in North America
Wells Fargo's Bonnie Herzog said in a note today (25 July) that PepsiCo must prove its integrated snacks and drinks model “does more than simply subsidize ongoing weakness in North American beverages”. The beverage unit also saw negative pricing as PepsiCo followed a promotions strategy that Herzog said has offset volumes declines.
However, she added: “This strategy may fall apart if Coca-Cola maintains its heavy promotions, which we suspect could accelerate PepsiCo volume declines and lead to the acceleration of negative top-line growth.”
In Q3 results released yesterday, PepsiCo posted an increase in profits and sales, however gains mostly came from snacks and international sales, while North American beverages faced “ongoing challenges”, Herzog said.
The warning follows pressure from PepsiCo investor Nelson Peltz for PepsiCo to hive off its beverage unit and operate it as a separate company. Peltz last week said PepsiCo's structure “just doesn't work any more”, while yesterday PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi suggested the company is to announce structural changes early next year.
Stifel analyst Mark Swartzberg said today that the changes are only likely to affect PepsiCo's North Amercian beverage unit and not alter its global structure.
As we welcome in the New Year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2014 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
Ahead of the Oscars, due to be handed out in just over a month's time, Richard Corbett has some gongs of his own to hand out. In recognition of the best new soft drinks products in 2013, who will win ...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report