Analysis - Coca-Cola Co, PepsiCo should target sell-offs
Could Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo target divestments in 2014?
In a note to clients late last week, Bernstein Research recommended that both soft drinks companies sell off their North American bottlers in the coming years. Such a move was described by the analyst as "likely... as long as pricing is not competitive and CSD volumes don't decline faster".
As well as its bottlers in North America, Coca-Cola may still sell its German bottler to Coca-Cola Enterprises, Bernstein suggested, although CCE has not yet taken up its option to buy the division.
PepsiCo, meanwhile, would benefit from a split of its global snacks operations, as the unit provides "faster growth" and is a "better business than beverages".
"We believe that more focused management, execution, and capital allocation generally could generate additional value for investors longer-term," said Bernstein of Coca-Cola and PepsiCo, as well as several US household & personal product companies. "Additionally, strategic buyers that can extract more value from divestments (ie, through greater synergies, local scale, and expertise) may be able to pay premium valuations and enhance the overall benefit to shareholders."
Since 2008, the analyst said, Coca-Cola has made 28 acquisitions and 16 divestments, the most notable being its stake in Mexico's Grupo Continental for US$2.3bn in 2011. PepsiCo, meanwhile has made 21 purchases and 16 sales in the last five years, with China Bottlers (Hong Kong) Ltd to Tingyi last year generating $600m.
In this month's look at sustainability issues in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper argues that, however much has been done in the past in this arena. there is always more that can - and should - be done...
The Marley Beverage Company (MBC) has appointed a former Red Bull, Diageo and PepsiCo executive as its new president and CEO. ...
Nestle Waters has unveiled a new UK TV ad campaign for its Buxton Natural mineral water as part of a GBP2m (US$3.37m) brand investment....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts