Analysis - Coca-Cola Co loses out to PepsiCo in China's bottled water race
Coca-Cola reportedly scaled back its bottled water expansion in China
The lag has come after Coca-Cola lost money in the category and scaled back expansion, CLSA's Caroline Levy said, citing recent comments from Tingyi CFO Frank Lin. PepsiCo, through its China JV with Tingyi, has grown its volumes in the first six months of this year by 9% “on a very large base”, Levy said.
Lin, who was speaking at a CLSA investors forum, also said that PepsiCo and Tingyi plan to expand the Tropicana 100% juice in the country despite a volumes increase of just 1.5% in China's juice category in H1. Total CSD volumes in the country were up by 2.5% in the period, Levy said.
Last year, PepsiCo took a 5% stake in Tingyi while selling its bottling operations to the Chinese firm.
Levy said that, while Tingyi is unlikely to be a major contributor in the near-term to PepsiCo's bottom line, the partnership remains “an intelligent move”. She also said it is a “net-negative” for Coca-Cola as the JV is 1.4-times the size of the Atlanta-based company's Chinese presence, giving it a scale and product-diversity advantage.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
The growth of coconut water in the soft drinks category is just the start of it: The tide of plant-based offerings grows only stronger. Tom Vierhile surveys the scene....
Tropicana UK Ltd will be focused on increasing its investment and promotional activity in a bid to reconnect with UK consumers during the forecast period....
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Sustainability in Wine - Part IV
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018