Analysis - Coca-Cola Co loses out to PepsiCo in China's bottled water race
Coca-Cola reportedly scaled back its bottled water expansion in China
The lag has come after Coca-Cola lost money in the category and scaled back expansion, CLSA's Caroline Levy said, citing recent comments from Tingyi CFO Frank Lin. PepsiCo, through its China JV with Tingyi, has grown its volumes in the first six months of this year by 9% “on a very large base”, Levy said.
Lin, who was speaking at a CLSA investors forum, also said that PepsiCo and Tingyi plan to expand the Tropicana 100% juice in the country despite a volumes increase of just 1.5% in China's juice category in H1. Total CSD volumes in the country were up by 2.5% in the period, Levy said.
Last year, PepsiCo took a 5% stake in Tingyi while selling its bottling operations to the Chinese firm.
Levy said that, while Tingyi is unlikely to be a major contributor in the near-term to PepsiCo's bottom line, the partnership remains “an intelligent move”. She also said it is a “net-negative” for Coca-Cola as the JV is 1.4-times the size of the Atlanta-based company's Chinese presence, giving it a scale and product-diversity advantage.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
The growth of coconut water in the soft drinks category is just the start of it: The tide of plant-based offerings grows only stronger. Tom Vierhile surveys the scene....
Tropicana UK Ltd will be focused on increasing its investment and promotional activity in a bid to reconnect with UK consumers during the forecast period....
PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalD...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018