Analysis - Coca-Cola Co loses out to PepsiCo in China's bottled water race
Coca-Cola reportedly scaled back its bottled water expansion in China
The lag has come after Coca-Cola lost money in the category and scaled back expansion, CLSA's Caroline Levy said, citing recent comments from Tingyi CFO Frank Lin. PepsiCo, through its China JV with Tingyi, has grown its volumes in the first six months of this year by 9% “on a very large base”, Levy said.
Lin, who was speaking at a CLSA investors forum, also said that PepsiCo and Tingyi plan to expand the Tropicana 100% juice in the country despite a volumes increase of just 1.5% in China's juice category in H1. Total CSD volumes in the country were up by 2.5% in the period, Levy said.
Last year, PepsiCo took a 5% stake in Tingyi while selling its bottling operations to the Chinese firm.
Levy said that, while Tingyi is unlikely to be a major contributor in the near-term to PepsiCo's bottom line, the partnership remains “an intelligent move”. She also said it is a “net-negative” for Coca-Cola as the JV is 1.4-times the size of the Atlanta-based company's Chinese presence, giving it a scale and product-diversity advantage.
The G8 Soft Drinks industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The guide al...
The growth of coconut water in the soft drinks category is just the start of it: The tide of plant-based offerings grows only stronger. Tom Vierhile surveys the scene....
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Energy Drink market to grow at a CAGR of 13.38 percent over the period 2013-2018. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the increasing b...
The Coca-Cola Co has claimed it is "speaking to teens in their language" with a new campaign for its namesake cola brand that includes the company's first wholly consumer-generated ad. ...
PepsiCo has joined the Coca-Cola Co in committing to "a zero-tolerance" policy on the land displacements that have fuelled the sugar trade....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research