Analysis - Coca-Cola Co better placed than PepsiCo as CSD spotlight hots-up
CLSA believe beverage firms will have to permanently switch to a higher price model
The soft drinks industry was successful in fighting off a ban on large sugary drinks in New York City this week. But, companies are facing an increasing battle as the debate around obesity, and the part beverage firms have to play, intensifies in the US.
CLSA analyst Caroline Levy said in a note today (14 March) that firms must follow brewers in switching to a higher price model.
“We believe the current regulatory environment, (with) government going after sugared drinks, requires beverage companies to permanently shift focus to higher price/mix,” the note said.
Levy said that Coca-Cola has the “upper-hand” over PepsiCo due to its its “superior brand-building activities over the past five years and longer in most countries”.
She added: “Coca Cola should be very focused on awarding territory to operators with this expertise. PepsiCo’s challenge will be a lack of options for refranchising, unless perhaps it can link up with another system, like beer.”
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd casts his eye over Habu, the latest soft drinks launch from The Coca-Cola Co in Thailand....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research