Analysis - Coca-Cola Co better placed than PepsiCo as CSD spotlight hots-up
CLSA believe beverage firms will have to permanently switch to a higher price model
The soft drinks industry was successful in fighting off a ban on large sugary drinks in New York City this week. But, companies are facing an increasing battle as the debate around obesity, and the part beverage firms have to play, intensifies in the US.
CLSA analyst Caroline Levy said in a note today (14 March) that firms must follow brewers in switching to a higher price model.
“We believe the current regulatory environment, (with) government going after sugared drinks, requires beverage companies to permanently shift focus to higher price/mix,” the note said.
Levy said that Coca-Cola has the “upper-hand” over PepsiCo due to its its “superior brand-building activities over the past five years and longer in most countries”.
She added: “Coca Cola should be very focused on awarding territory to operators with this expertise. PepsiCo’s challenge will be a lack of options for refranchising, unless perhaps it can link up with another system, like beer.”
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd casts his eye over Habu, the latest soft drinks launch from The Coca-Cola Co in Thailand....
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research