Analysis - Coca-Cola Co better placed than PepsiCo as CSD spotlight hots-up
CLSA believe beverage firms will have to permanently switch to a higher price model
The soft drinks industry was successful in fighting off a ban on large sugary drinks in New York City this week. But, companies are facing an increasing battle as the debate around obesity, and the part beverage firms have to play, intensifies in the US.
CLSA analyst Caroline Levy said in a note today (14 March) that firms must follow brewers in switching to a higher price model.
“We believe the current regulatory environment, (with) government going after sugared drinks, requires beverage companies to permanently shift focus to higher price/mix,” the note said.
Levy said that Coca-Cola has the “upper-hand” over PepsiCo due to its its “superior brand-building activities over the past five years and longer in most countries”.
She added: “Coca Cola should be very focused on awarding territory to operators with this expertise. PepsiCo’s challenge will be a lack of options for refranchising, unless perhaps it can link up with another system, like beer.”
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd casts his eye over Habu, the latest soft drinks launch from The Coca-Cola Co in Thailand....
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Sustainability in Wine - Part IV
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018