Analysis - Carlsberg's Russia woes continue but H1 "ticked some boxes"
Russia is a key market for Carlsberg
Carlsberg's first-half results do not yet signal a Russian turnaround, but the Danish brewer is on the right track in the difficult market, an analyst has said.
The company has “ticked some of the boxes on Russia”, Nomura's Ian Shackleton said today (22 August) after Carlsberg yesterday released its H1 numbers. The brewer has gained market share in Russia - which together with Ukraine accounts for about 40% of group EBIT - and posted an “accelerating price/mix”, Shackleton said.
Margin recovery is also “on track”, the analyst added.
The Russian beer market declined by around 7% in H1, as disruption from the enforced closure of beer kiosks hampered performance, Carlsberg said yesterday. Regulations on alcohol adversing have also hurt brewers in the country, but Carlsberg said it continued to improve market share in H1.
Shackleton said the outlook for the Russian beer market is a low-single digit decline in H2.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
The world’s fourth largest brewer, Carlsberg is working to reduce its reliance on struggling European markets. This profile considers the company’s decision to focus on emerging Asian markets and anal...
Alcoholic Drinks in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). Th...
Alcoholic Drinks in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). Th...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research