Analysis - Carlsberg springs volumes surprise on rivals
Carlsberg posted its Q1 results yesterday
Carlsberg has posted a “better-than-expected” start to 2013, an analyst has said, with the brewer's core Russian market set to gain strength throughout the year.
Nomura's Ian Shackleton said in a note today (8 May) that Carlsberg posted stronger volumes in Q1 than Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev and was in line with SABMiller for the three-month period. “We still have confidence in our full-year estimates and see momentum in Russia building in 2013,” Shackleton said.
Russia accounts for about 40% of Carlsberg's profits but has struggled in recent years from lower consumer demand caused by ongoing tax increases and bans on alcohol advertising. Yesterday, Carlsberg CEO Jørgen Buhl Rasmussen said the closing of beer kiosks in the country had also affected sales.
However, Shackleton said the growing importance of Asia in Carlsberg's accounts is starting to offset Russian difficulties.
“We see Asia, close to 20% of EBIT, becoming a more material driver for the company,” he said. “We would expect continued strong double-digit growth from the Asia division over the near term.”
In Q1 results released yesterday, Carlsberg's Asia unit posted organic sales and profits growth of about 20% as the brewer returned to the black for the quarter.
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research