Analysis - Brown-Forman fails to revive Southern Comfort
Brown-Forman launched a global push for Southern Comfort
Globally, the brand saw a 4% drop in full-year sales, the company announced yesterday (5 June). But while Brown-Forman hailed the performance as an improvement on the previous year's 7% slide, Nomura's Ian Shackleton said the liqueur is still in trouble.
“The Southern Comfort family of brands remains challenged ... mainly driven by consumer weakness in its international markets, which more than offset positive growth in the US,” Shackleton said.
In August, Brown-Forman launched a US ad campaign for the brand that helped sales in the country rebound. The push was quickly rolled out to international markets but despite a “dramatic improvement” in US sales, according to Brown-Forman, global markets have failed to come around.
Brown-Forman said yesterday it will incrementally increase advertising and promotional spend for Southern Comfort to revive its growth.
Meanwhile, Shackleton suggested Brown-Forman is unlikely to target acquisitions in the near term, but could later expand its portfolio with Scotch or Irish whisk(e)y.
Russian investor Roustam Tariko, the owner of Russian Standard, gained full control of CEDC in April 2013. The new owner is expected to focus more on the Russian market. This, in turn, could mean less...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research