Analysis - Brown-Forman fails to revive Southern Comfort
Brown-Forman launched a global push for Southern Comfort
Globally, the brand saw a 4% drop in full-year sales, the company announced yesterday (5 June). But while Brown-Forman hailed the performance as an improvement on the previous year's 7% slide, Nomura's Ian Shackleton said the liqueur is still in trouble.
“The Southern Comfort family of brands remains challenged ... mainly driven by consumer weakness in its international markets, which more than offset positive growth in the US,” Shackleton said.
In August, Brown-Forman launched a US ad campaign for the brand that helped sales in the country rebound. The push was quickly rolled out to international markets but despite a “dramatic improvement” in US sales, according to Brown-Forman, global markets have failed to come around.
Brown-Forman said yesterday it will incrementally increase advertising and promotional spend for Southern Comfort to revive its growth.
Meanwhile, Shackleton suggested Brown-Forman is unlikely to target acquisitions in the near term, but could later expand its portfolio with Scotch or Irish whisk(e)y.
Through much of the review period, Brown-Forman has struggled for growth. However, in 2012 its rate of growth picked up as the early results of its 10-year plan, announced in 2010, started to show as ...
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
Russian investor Roustam Tariko, the owner of Russian Standard, gained full control of CEDC in April 2013. The new owner is expected to focus more on the Russian market. This, in turn, could mean less...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research