Analysis - Britvic cost cuts won't derail AG Barr merger
Investec's Nicola Mallard said in a note today (5 June) that there is “overlap” between a plan to save GBP30m (US$46.1m) a year, which includes the closing of three UK facilities, and what the merger was to deliver. However, “the strategic reasons for the merger remain intact; together Barr Britvic would be a stronger force in European soft drinks”, Mallard said.
Britvic announced its cost-savings plan last month as it reported a rise in first-half profits. A third of the savings are to be invested back into international operations, which are expanding with the growth of a Fruit Shoot concentrate model in the US and the brands upcoming entry into India. The total plan will cost GBP40m, Britvic said.
“There is some overlap between Britvic’s recently announced savings and the proposed merger synergies, but not a complete overlap,” Mallard said. “Hence, there are further potential savings still available if the merger were to progress.
“The portfolios and routes to market remain highly complementary,” she added.
Mallard said the Competition Commission, which halted the merger after it was referred by the Office of Fair Trading in February, is expected to rule in favour of the deal next month.
“We would expect both parties to at least sit and discuss a merger, even if the terms are slightly altered,” she said.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Barr (AG) Plc is focused on joining forces with Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd to become a joint partner company in what is expected to be the largest European soft drinks company. The formulation of the mer...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets