Analysis - Britvic cost cuts won't derail AG Barr merger
Investec's Nicola Mallard said in a note today (5 June) that there is “overlap” between a plan to save GBP30m (US$46.1m) a year, which includes the closing of three UK facilities, and what the merger was to deliver. However, “the strategic reasons for the merger remain intact; together Barr Britvic would be a stronger force in European soft drinks”, Mallard said.
Britvic announced its cost-savings plan last month as it reported a rise in first-half profits. A third of the savings are to be invested back into international operations, which are expanding with the growth of a Fruit Shoot concentrate model in the US and the brands upcoming entry into India. The total plan will cost GBP40m, Britvic said.
“There is some overlap between Britvic’s recently announced savings and the proposed merger synergies, but not a complete overlap,” Mallard said. “Hence, there are further potential savings still available if the merger were to progress.
“The portfolios and routes to market remain highly complementary,” she added.
Mallard said the Competition Commission, which halted the merger after it was referred by the Office of Fair Trading in February, is expected to rule in favour of the deal next month.
“We would expect both parties to at least sit and discuss a merger, even if the terms are slightly altered,” she said.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research