Analysis - Brazil to spoil Anheuser-Busch InBev's year
The brewer has a high exposure in Brazil
Consumer weakness in Brazil and a depreciating Real will slow Anheuser-Busch InBev's growth this year, an analyst has warned.
In a note to clients earlier today (1 July), CLSA's Caroline Levy also said she is “sceptical” of reports the brewer is looking to acquire rival SABMiller.
“We expect ongoing consumer weakness in Brazil and a rising dollar to crimp 2013 growth with some spillover likely in 2014,” Levy said.
However, Levy added that the acquisition of Grupo Modelo last month and a turnaround in US sales makes A-B InBev a “strong long-term franchise”.
Levy said the brewer's sales in US retail channels have been negative for most of the first half of the year, but turned positive for the 12 weeks to 16 June.
“On a two-year average basis, A-B InBev's sales growth has been on a positive uptrend since March,” the analyst said.
Levy dismissed “recent commentary” on a long-rumoured mega-merger between SABMiller and A-B InBev as “just speculation”.
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
InBev Italia’s strategy for the forecast period will be to continue its occasion-based marketing, and to promote its products. The company will concentrate its efforts on meeting consumers’ expectatio...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2013....
Inbev will continue to focus on premiumisation, adding value and Increasing its channel coverage over the forecast period. The company will continue to invest heavily in marketing support and new prod...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report