Analysis - Brazil launch for Corona an A-B InBev "priority"
Brazil is expected to be a focus for A-B InBev once it gets its hands on Modelo
Stifel Nicolaus analyst Mark Swartzberg said that Corona could also be priced higher than Budweiser in the country once A-B InBev's delayed US$20.1bn deal for Modelo completes. The US brewer's flagship brand was launched in Brazil in August 2011 and has around a 1% share of the country's beer market, according to the analyst in a note yesterday (13 March).
“We think Corona can achieve at least that share over its initial 18 months,” said Swartzberg, following a meeting with A-B InBev CFO Felipe Dutra.
In full-year results, released last month, A-B InBev saw volumes edge up by 2.5% at its Brazil subsidiary, AmBev. The brewer already dominates Brazil's beer market with its Brahma, Antarctica, Bohemia and Skol brands. The country is set to host the football World Cup next year and the Olympics in 2016.
Away from Brazil, the analyst added: “Mr Dutra sees revenue synergy opportunities in better price/pack management in Mexico, increased emphasis on Bud Light and Budweiser in Mexico, especially northern Mexico, and expanded sales of Corona outside Mexico and the US.”
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review