Analysis - Brazil launch for Corona an A-B InBev "priority"
Brazil is expected to be a focus for A-B InBev once it gets its hands on Modelo
Stifel Nicolaus analyst Mark Swartzberg said that Corona could also be priced higher than Budweiser in the country once A-B InBev's delayed US$20.1bn deal for Modelo completes. The US brewer's flagship brand was launched in Brazil in August 2011 and has around a 1% share of the country's beer market, according to the analyst in a note yesterday (13 March).
“We think Corona can achieve at least that share over its initial 18 months,” said Swartzberg, following a meeting with A-B InBev CFO Felipe Dutra.
In full-year results, released last month, A-B InBev saw volumes edge up by 2.5% at its Brazil subsidiary, AmBev. The brewer already dominates Brazil's beer market with its Brahma, Antarctica, Bohemia and Skol brands. The country is set to host the football World Cup next year and the Olympics in 2016.
Away from Brazil, the analyst added: “Mr Dutra sees revenue synergy opportunities in better price/pack management in Mexico, increased emphasis on Bud Light and Budweiser in Mexico, especially northern Mexico, and expanded sales of Corona outside Mexico and the US.”
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research