Analysis - Brazil launch for Corona an A-B InBev "priority"
Brazil is expected to be a focus for A-B InBev once it gets its hands on Modelo
Stifel Nicolaus analyst Mark Swartzberg said that Corona could also be priced higher than Budweiser in the country once A-B InBev's delayed US$20.1bn deal for Modelo completes. The US brewer's flagship brand was launched in Brazil in August 2011 and has around a 1% share of the country's beer market, according to the analyst in a note yesterday (13 March).
“We think Corona can achieve at least that share over its initial 18 months,” said Swartzberg, following a meeting with A-B InBev CFO Felipe Dutra.
In full-year results, released last month, A-B InBev saw volumes edge up by 2.5% at its Brazil subsidiary, AmBev. The brewer already dominates Brazil's beer market with its Brahma, Antarctica, Bohemia and Skol brands. The country is set to host the football World Cup next year and the Olympics in 2016.
Away from Brazil, the analyst added: “Mr Dutra sees revenue synergy opportunities in better price/pack management in Mexico, increased emphasis on Bud Light and Budweiser in Mexico, especially northern Mexico, and expanded sales of Corona outside Mexico and the US.”
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research