Analysis - Anheuser-Busch InBev feeling more US off-trade pain than MillerCoors
MillerCoors' volumes are holding up better than A-B InBev's in the US
Nielsen figures for the four weeks to 11 May, published today (24 May), show that the Molson Coors and SABMiller JV saw a 4.2% drop in volumes, while Anheuser-Busch InBev saw a 5.6% fall, Nomura reported. Analyst Ian Shackleton noted that MillerCoors' Coors Light was "flattish", but its craft and innovations portfolio performance was "robust".
Meanwhile, volumes for A-B InBev's "big innovation" last year, Bud Light Platinum, have "weakened", Shackleton noted.
Budweiser Black Crown, launched in January, has also seen an increasingly "weaker" share of the market since March, he flagged.
However, craft beer is continuing to perform strongly. Boston Beer Company's off-trade volumes were up 16.6% in the four-week period, while Sierra Nevada's rose by 12.2%.
Total category volumes fell 0.6%, but sales by value were up 1.5%.
However, looking ahead, Shackleton said: "We see a more subdued outlook for the US beer industry this year, flattish volumes, versus 2012, with more economic pressures and less weather benefit."
To read a comment piece on a possible backlash over craft beer, click here
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
InBev Italia’s strategy for the forecast period will be to continue its occasion-based marketing, and to promote its products. The company will concentrate its efforts on meeting consumers’ expectatio...
Inbev will continue to focus on premiumisation, adding value and Increasing its channel coverage over the forecast period. The company will continue to invest heavily in marketing support and new prod...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly